Now is the peak of fishing season – the major harvest of the year for our fishermen. Therefore, fishermen from many localities, particularly those in the central region of Viet Nam, have been persistently stationed at sea to fish on their traditional grounds.
During their normal operation within the traditional fishing ground in Viet Nam’s Hoang Sa archipelago, Vietnamese fishing boats and fishermen have been obstructed by Chinese law enforcement forces and fishing vessels and suffered from property damage and violence. The details are as follows:
- On 7th May 2014: Fishing boat QNg-96416-TS, while fishing in the sea area approximately 15 nautical miles South from Linh Con (Lincoln) island (of the Hoang Sa archipelago) and 70 nautical miles East of the Chinese oil rig, was chased, fired flares and thrown hammers and bolts at by Chinese warship 1241. A Chinese fishery administration vessel also chased and rammed straight into the rear of fishing boat QNg-96416-TS.
Fishing boat QNg-96147-TS of Mr. Duong Van Giau (resident of An Hai commune, Ly Son island district) operating in the Hoang Sa sea area was destroyed by Chinese fishery administration. Some of its properties were seized by the latter before being chased out of the area.
Fishing boat QNg-96354-TS of fisherman Nguyen Chi (resident of An Hai commune, Ly Son island district), while operating in the Hoang Sa area, had its property damaged by Chinese ship.
- On 9th May 2014: Fishing boat QNg-96110-TS of fisherman Huynh Cong Nhiem, while fishing in the Hoang Sa sea area, had its properties, communicating headset and fishing instruments seized by Chinese vessels.
- On 12th May 2014: Fishing boat QTr-91119-TS of Mr. Bui Xuan Tan and fishing boat QTr-96868-TS of Mr. Vo Van Huu from Quang Tri province, while operating in the Hoang Sa archipelago area, were chased after by Chinese vessels; their fishing nets were damaged, fishing instruments and catch on-deck were seized.
- On 14th May 2014, fishing boat QNa-91599-TS was rammed by a Chinese ship; the cabin behind the wheel was broken.
- On May 16th 2014: Fishing boat QNg-90205-TS operating in Viet Nam’s Hoang Sa sea area was attacked by Chinese Fishery Administration ship 306. Two fishermen, namely Nguyen Huyen Le Anh (aged 30) and Nguyen Tan Hai (aged 24), suffered from serious injuries after being beaten up by staff on Chinese Fishery Administration ships. Chinese fishery administration officers also destroyed the Vietnamese fishermen’s properties, stole their fishing equipments and catch.
Fishing boat DNa-90235-TS was rammed behind the wheel by Chinese fishing vessel 71075. The former’s bridge hood collapsed; its rear deck was cracked.
Fishing boat DNa-90406-TS was hit by Chinese fishing boat 71075; its staircase collapsed, cabin cracked and six-bulb lighting set was damaged.
- On 17th May 2014: fishing boat QNg-96011-TS operating in the Hoang Sa sea area (31 nautical miles from Triton island) was attacked by Chinese law enforcement ship 21102. On-deck tools, including boat baskets, bridge glass-door, and aero-tube, were damaged; several equipment (fish-finder, I-com and positioning device) and 400kg of catch were seized.
- On 26th May 2014: Fishing boat DNa-90152-TS with 10 fishermen on board while operating at 17 nautical miles from the oil rig Haiyang Shiyou 981 was rammed and sunk by Chinese vessel 11209. The 10 Vietnamese fishermen were rescued by Vietnamese fishing boat and fishing community. Currently fishing boat DNa-90152-TS has been pulled back onto land for repair.
FISHERY CONTROL ADMINISTRATION